Should UrbanMC Reset and implement the listed changes?

• Yes

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Official 2020 Reset - Poll

There has been quite a lot of discussion recently about the possibility of a reset. The staff team has known that it wasn't too far away and is now ready to make an official announcement.

As of now, donations for money and townblocks are temporarily disabled. They will be re-enabled if the vote fails or one week after the reset.

If we reset, here's the approximate timeline after the poll closes.
  • This time Friday to this time Monday: Three day towny claim war, pvp enabled everywhere. If the war finishes early we may do a second or third and follow it with the deletion of all towns and blowing up of some buildings.
  • Sometime Monday afternoon/evening: Downtime for the reset to occur (I'm hoping for less than an hour), then the new world launches.
  • One week later, donations for money will be re-opened. Townblocks will not be returning due to a conflict of interest with one of our staff members.
  • Player shops will be auctioned off in live weekly discord events, in batches of 4-6. More detail to follow.
If we reset, here are some key changes.
  • We have heard that for new players the gold currency system is less intuitive than traditional systems, and older players are split on support for gold vs a more typical system. A new world will return to a more typical, digital, and command-based economy over an item based one.
  • Knowing that some people like the earth map while others like vanilla worlds, the new server will host two maps of equal size. One will be a 1.15 version of the current earth map with no structures. The other is a 1.15-generated vanilla world with all the ores and structures of a regular survival map. All inventory items, towns, player data, ranks, etc. will be fully transferable just like travelling to the nether or end.
  • The server will launch in 1.15. The update to 1.16 is not that far out, but it is important that the admin team does its due diligence to ensure a smooth update.
  • Players have said that resources in the end and nether are difficult to come by and comparatively few players settle in the nether and end long-term. Thus, they will reset on a monthly basis. There may be a special nether reset for the 1.16 update, or we may stick to the monthly schedule we set up at launch. Claiming in the nether and end will be permanently disabled.
There are also going to be some economic changes.
  • We hear quite regularly about inflation and how easy it is for older players to do extremely well while newer players struggle in comparison. We're taking some steps to mitigate this. Firstly, items that can be farmed automatically are being reduced in price, while similar items which require manual intervention are remaining the same. For instance, we're adding carved pumpkins to the shop for the same price as pumpkins currently, and reducing the price of regular pumpkins. This means that smaller manual farmers can still make the same amount of money as before, but auto farm returns will be reduced.
  • We aim to strengthen the player market. Buy prices are going to increase across the board. Availability in the server shop will also decrease. The only items you will be able to buy are basic items players need to get started, like those to create tools, armour, and food, or items that are an extreme nuisance to collect. For instance, we have left grass blocks as setting up an underground base can be a challenge without them. The only items you will be able to sell are considered by the staff team to be "junk items", stuff that players accumulate large amounts of and may want to dispose of, and items that can be mass produced. Other items should be bought and sold through player shops.
  • A full list of shop changes will be released during the war.
  • As player shops will now see more attention, the rates are going up. The base price of a shop plot will be 10 000 and daily tax will be 10.

Much thought has gone into each of these ideas. Some of these changes have been bouncing around staff channels for months. We hope that even if you don't like all of them, in aggregate they benefit the server.

Of course, you can also vote no to a reset, and in doing so vote no to all of the above changes. We support your opinion, and will respect the outcome of this poll.

On behalf of the entire staff team, we look forward to seeing the results. We also continue to encourage you to post your feedback on the other reset thread from CATGIFS (https://urbanmc.net/threads/is-it-time-for-a-reset.1077/). Let's keep this thread dedicated to technical and logistical reset question.

Tqtal

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Jun 3, 2017
The Milky Way
There has been quite a lot of discussion recently about the possibility of a reset. The staff team has known that it wasn't too far away and is now ready to make an official announcement.

As of now, donations for money and townblocks are temporarily disabled. They will be re-enabled if the vote fails or one week after the reset.

If we reset, here's the approximate timeline after the poll closes.
  • This time Friday to this time Monday: Three day towny claim war, pvp enabled everywhere. If the war finishes early we may do a second or third and follow it with the deletion of all towns and blowing up of some buildings.
  • Sometime Monday afternoon/evening: Downtime for the reset to occur (I'm hoping for less than an hour), then the new world launches.
  • One week later, donations for money will be re-opened. Townblocks will not be returning due to a conflict of interest with one of our staff members.
  • Player shops will be auctioned off in live weekly discord events, in batches of 4-6. More detail to follow.
If we reset, here are some key changes.
  • We have heard that for new players the gold currency system is less intuitive than traditional systems, and older players are split on support for gold vs a more typical system. A new world will return to a more typical, digital, and command-based economy over an item based one.
  • Knowing that some people like the earth map while others like vanilla worlds, the new server will host two maps of equal size. One will be a 1.15 version of the current earth map with no structures. The other is a 1.15-generated vanilla world with all the ores and structures of a regular survival map. All inventory items, towns, player data, ranks, etc. will be fully transferable just like travelling to the nether or end.
  • The server will launch in 1.15. The update to 1.16 is not that far out, but it is important that the admin team does its due diligence to ensure a smooth update.
  • Players have said that resources in the end and nether are difficult to come by and comparatively few players settle in the nether and end long-term. Thus, they will reset on a monthly basis. There may be a special nether reset for the 1.16 update, or we may stick to the monthly schedule we set up at launch. Claiming in the nether and end will be permanently disabled.
There are also going to be some economic changes.
  • We hear quite regularly about inflation and how easy it is for older players to do extremely well while newer players struggle in comparison. We're taking some steps to mitigate this. Firstly, items that can be farmed automatically are being reduced in price, while similar items which require manual intervention are remaining the same. For instance, we're adding carved pumpkins to the shop for the same price as pumpkins currently, and reducing the price of regular pumpkins. This means that smaller manual farmers can still make the same amount of money as before, but auto farm returns will be reduced.
  • We aim to strengthen the player market. Buy prices are going to increase across the board. Availability in the server shop will also decrease. The only items you will be able to buy are basic items players need to get started, like those to create tools, armour, and food, or items that are an extreme nuisance to collect. For instance, we have left grass blocks as setting up an underground base can be a challenge without them. The only items you will be able to sell are considered by the staff team to be "junk items", stuff that players accumulate large amounts of and may want to dispose of, and items that can be mass produced. Other items should be bought and sold through player shops.
  • A full list of shop changes will be released during the war.
  • As player shops will now see more attention, the rates are going up. The base price of a shop plot will be 10 000 and daily tax will be 10.

Much thought has gone into each of these ideas. Some of these changes have been bouncing around staff channels for months. We hope that even if you don't like all of them, in aggregate they benefit the server.

Of course, you can also vote no to a reset, and in doing so vote no to all of the above changes. We support your opinion, and will respect the outcome of this poll.

On behalf of the entire staff team, we look forward to seeing the results. We also continue to encourage you to post your feedback on the other reset thread from CATGIFS (https://urbanmc.net/threads/is-it-time-for-a-reset.1077/). Let's keep this thread dedicated to technical and logistical reset question.
I'm glad to see the staff has made the choice to satisfy the playerbase.
Proud of you urbs.

May 17, 2017
Lyteiopolis
Knowing that some people like the earth map while others like vanilla worlds, the new server will host two maps of equal size. One will be a 1.15 version of the current earth map with no structures. The other is a 1.15-generated vanilla world with all the ores and structures of a regular survival map. All inventory items, towns, player data, ranks, etc. will be fully transferable just like traveling to the nether or end.
Will Dynmap still exist? ? I know this server has a problem with lag (especially being in v1.15), but will have four maps hinder our experience as players because of lag from world generation?

UrbanMC

Owner
Staff member
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Jul 14, 2016
Spawn, UrbanMC
www.urbanmc.net
Will Dynmap still exist? ? I know this server has a problem with lag (especially being in v1.15), but will have four maps hinder our experience as players because of lag from world generation?
Dynmap will exist for both overworlds, but be unavailable for the end and nether. It will show players in the player list, but not on the map.

Reactions: ElDespota

CATGIFS

Mar 8, 2019
Few questions.

Can you elaborate on the town blocks? Will the amount of town blocks only be defined by population now?

Since there will be two overworlds, will currency carry over? and can a town that started in one overworld have outposts in the other?

Is there there a way for there to be both physical and digital currency? Cuz that way you could please both types of players. I personally enjoy the ability of mining gold and having that immediate currency.

Will the current world be downloadable?

Paddywiggle

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Dec 26, 2016
Listerine
Please see my post on my opinion of claiming in the Nether dimension. I do believe that the lack of Nether claiming and having both reset entirely ruins the idea of being able to claim and build a town or outpost in the Nether.

May 17, 2017
Lyteiopolis
Will there be two nethers one for each overworld? Two ends one for each overworld? or will they both be connected to a single one. and refer to CATGIF's questions regarding two overworlds. Everything will carry over between the two and we can claim outposts in either correct?

Reactions: SonicSignal

Uqknown

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Aug 9, 2017
For the pvp enabled everywhere, can you disable god for diamond ranks? Like only if they get hit by a player.

glorsh

Mar 14, 2020
Great so getting rid of claiming in the nether just as it starts to be a good place to build stuff. Just they type of “smart” decisions I expect from the server!

Loofan

‌‌ 
Sep 25, 2016
Sunshine State
I agree with the majority of the ideas brought up in this post however, I don't think to split the player base up into two towny maps is the greatest idea.

Reactions: mpzflame

CATGIFS

Mar 8, 2019
I agree for a reset but I would like to be able to claim in the end and nether. These are the main sources for xp farms for most players, as well as the nether being the highlight of the latest update, the variety of town styles would be very interesting. I will not vote yes to a reset unless claiming is allowed in both the end and nether. Although I do not mind no Dynmap for both, as they reveal where end cities are. I also believe /fly should be disabled in both as they give a competitive advantage to those players. It doesn't seem fair if someone could just fly to an end city and get elytra before anyone else.

Tqtal

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Jun 3, 2017
The Milky Way
I agree for a reset but I would like to be able to claim in the end and nether. These are the main sources for xp farms for most players, as well as the nether being the highlight of the latest update, the variety of town styles would be very interesting. I will not vote yes to a reset unless claiming is allowed in both the end and nether. Although I do not mind no Dynmap for both, as they reveal where end cities are. I also believe /fly should be disabled in both as they give a competitive advantage to those players. It doesn't seem fair if someone could just fly to an end city and get elytra before anyone else.
Unfortunately, if fly is disabled, then a bunch of diamond ranked players, who spent more money than responsible on their rank would be storming down urban's doors, inciting riots. Regardless of the legality of these ranks, they were bought to have the same permissions as always until the server eventually shuts down. So taking away the #1 command from diamond rank in most dimensions is not really an option. As for claiming in the nether, that allows all players to collect all the new resources. Otherwise, the nether would eventually become a sort of wasteland in the search for resources.

Heauxs

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
Dec 12, 2019
i don't think there should be a dynmap for the vanilla world. it makes sense for a geopolitical map because the gameplay is more location-based but vanilla minecraft is about adventure and exploration. the dynmap kind of eliminates the thrill of exploring a new frontier because it reveals literally everything - biomes, towns, ruins, villages.

also what is the world border gonna be for the vanilla world?

Last edited:

Heauxs

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
Dec 12, 2019
the new server will host two maps of equal size.
Assuming this means they will have the same world border coordinates, i also believe the map size should be scaled down significantly. Like I said earlier, a huge part of the appeal of towny is exploration. This not only includes stumbling across naturally-generated land but also player-built structures like abandoned homes and fallen cities. Additionally, towny is about conflict and collaboration. I believe I mentioned this on discord awhile ago, but I'll say it again: the map should not be enormous. This somewhat ties back to the exploration point but scouting surrounding terrain around a town should not feel so isolating like you're in a single player world. Seeing towns develop near each other and come together to trade or go to war for resources would be refreshing and fun and really make the server feel like a community.

One problem with the earth map was that its vastness completely ruined this aspect of towny. if the next earth map is a similar size, I'm afraid it will happen again, so I think the two worlds should either be scaled down or (if possible) be different sizes so the vanilla world could remain small.

maybe 10k out in each direction IDK (20k by 20k)
Current map 43k x 21k

Last edited:

UrbanMC

Owner
Staff member
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Jul 14, 2016
Spawn, UrbanMC
www.urbanmc.net
Few questions.

Can you elaborate on the town blocks? Will the amount of town blocks only be defined by population now?

Since there will be two overworlds, will currency carry over? and can a town that started in one overworld have outposts in the other?

Is there there a way for there to be both physical and digital currency? Cuz that way you could please both types of players. I personally enjoy the ability of mining gold and having that immediate currency.

Will the current world be downloadable?
Townblocks are counted exactly as before, you simply won't be able to buy them in the donation store. The number available is still the same. You can still vote for them, pay gold for them, etc.

Inventories, gold, towns, and all other playerdata is fully transferable between worlds. It is like right now how you can have a town in the overworld and an outpost in the end, but instead it's two overworlds. You are on the same server, with the same experience points and everything else.

In a former world we used bank notes as a physical manifestation of currency. We may bring those back. We are also open to other ideas. Our main concern with a hybrid setup is we could end up in a situation which is less intuitive than even the current system. The goal should be a system that is easy to understand and stable to use.

Will there be two nethers one for each overworld? Two ends one for each overworld? or will they both be connected to a single one?
We are still trying to figure out the logistics of the nether and end. In theory, it is possible to have two ends and two nethers. It is also perhaps possible to use only one of each. The staff team has not yet determined how to manage this. More information will follow.

For the pvp enabled everywhere, can you disable god for diamond ranks? Like only if they get hit by a player.
We're not sure if this will be possible. While we can disable the permission for players to toggle it, we can't turn god mode off for offline players directly.

I agree with the majority of the ideas brought up in this post however, I don't think to split the player base up into two towny maps is the greatest idea.
An original pitch for this reset internally was to run two independent servers, like how right now we have towny and creative. Your concern was the chief reason we dismissed the idea. Instead, everyone is on the same server, chatting in the same global chat, trading with eachother and interacting just like they can within one world. You aren't assigning yourself to one world or the other, you are free to jump around. Maybe you have a town on earth somewhere, and you claim a structure or biome in the minecraft-generated map as an outpost.

I [...] believe /fly should be disabled in both [the end and nether] as they give a competitive advantage to those players. It doesn't seem fair if someone could just fly to an end city and get elytra before anyone else.
Dynmap will not be available for any end or nether maps. The staff team is considering disabling /fly for the first week to allow non-flight-equipped players to establish themselves at a more equal rate and encourage fights for popular locations.

The dynmap kind of eliminates the thrill of exploring a new frontier because it reveals literally everything - biomes, towns, ruins, villages.
We're not enabling dynmap for any end/nether world or worlds. This will still allow for uncertainty in exploration while also allowing players to enjoy the aerial view the dynmap provides.

What is the world border gonna be for the vanilla world?
It will be the same size as the earth map. Roughly 20 000 blocks North to South and 40 000 East to West. Previous worlds have been as big as 80 000 blocks across in each dimension so while the space to work with would be larger than it is this world it's not the biggest we've ever had.

I'll cover the nether and end in more detail in the dedicated thread regarding nether claiming.

Heauxs

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
Dec 12, 2019
We're not enabling dynmap for any end/nether world or worlds. This will still allow for uncertainty in exploration while also allowing players to enjoy the aerial view the dynmap provides.
I understood that from the original post. My main point was that the dynmap takes away more from towny than it provides so are you possibly considering not having a dynmap at all for the vanilla map? or is that a firm no..?

To clarify, I think a dynmap makes sense for the earth world so the new 1.15 earth map could have one if you want. I just don't think it's necessary and I actually think it's worse if we have one for the vanilla map

May 17, 2017
Lyteiopolis
I understood that from the original post. My main point was that the dynmap takes away more from towny than it provides so are you possibly considering not having a dynmap at all for the vanilla map? or is that a firm no..?

To clarify, I think a dynmap makes sense for the earth world so the new 1.15 earth map could have one if you want. I just don't think it's necessary and I actually think it's worse if we have one for the vanilla map
I do agree with Heaxus here. Dynmap really only works well for an earth map. You can see the earth and figure out where you are. However for a vanilla world, I much prefer the exploration factor to it. I enjoy finding new places and exploring the vanilla map and seeing what cool MC generation has to offer. I also enjoy flying around on an elytra and finding abandoned towns, new towns, old towns, and just being rewarded for exploration.

A town just went down? Cool I have the coordinates let me fly over there (even though diamond infinite homes makes this difficult as dia donors have fly to explore the map at a quicker pace while also being able to teleport across the map through infinite homes but that’s a different discussion.
The current earth map on the other hand was “oh a town went down let me check dynmap before it updates”. One rewarded the player for exploration and noting the world around them while the other opened a link.

Dynmap should only be for Earth Map.

Server Status

UrbanMC Towny

towny.urbanmc.net

Online Players

7/100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArTik_GHOST