The End of an Era

Hello players of UrbanMC,

Almost seven years ago, all the way back in July of 2014, a young and naïve version of me, who clearly had way too much time on his hands, started this server. I started this server because I enjoyed playing Minecraft, and I wanted to create the perfect environment for me and others to enjoy playing the game together. At the time, I had no idea what it would grow into. I had an idea, I ran with it, and I just kept running with it.

It worked. Players kept coming, and donations helped to sustain it. Your continued support has kept this server open for so long. Many of you have been with us for a long time now and some of you may be newer, but all of you are appreciated. This server was a success, thanks to the dedication of its staff members and many loyal players.

As time has gone on, I have improved as a server owner. However, it seems that no matter how much better I get at my job, it never seems to be enough. At the same time, I find that I have little time available to dedicate to running the server. I no longer feel that I can adequately fill my role as owner.

This server started as a hobby. I ran it for fun. Over the years, it has slowly evolved into a job. The last map I really played on was either the map before the first earth map or the one before that. It was so long ago that I cannot quite remember. I come online now purely to field questions, check on specific items, or fix bugs.

Since running this server now feels like a job more than a hobby, and I do not feel that I can adequately fulfill my obligations as owner, I will be closing Urban Minecraft Servers, effective March 15, 2021.

You guys all know one of our moderators, Skatds. When I first met Skat, he was an eager, optimistic, and highly engaged player. He was one of the easiest hiring decisions I have made, and I do not regret it one bit. When I told my staff that I was ready to move on, and shut down the server entirely, he eagerly messaged me about the idea of starting his own server and piggy-backing off the success of UrbanMC. I have accepted his offer. When his server, LithosMc, it will open with the same map and player data that UrbanMC closes with. I encourage you to check out his server when it opens.

The transition will probably not be smooth. There will be a lot of data to transfer, so there will likely be a lot of downtime. Features will undoubtedly break. More details about the transition process will be available from Skat in the coming weeks. Please direct any inquiries to him personally.

All server rules will remain fully in force until closing, with one noteworthy exception – skat’s server, LithosMc, is an exception to the advertising rule.

Finally, I wish to thank all of you for playing Minecraft with me.

Sincerely,

UrbanMC, Owner
Urban Minecraft Servers
July 27, 2014 – March 15, 2021

Survival_Monkey

Mar 1, 2021
I've made too many friendships and memories based off this server..

All I can say is It was fun while it lasted. <3

Reactions: ElDespota and Clew

glorsh

Mar 14, 2020
you know its not ending right its just a name change and a new owner

Jubean10_9

Jul 24, 2020
Thanks so much Urban, for giving us such a wonderful server. If you hadn't I wouldn't have met such lovely people, and now most of which I call my friends, and I think I speak on behalf of a lot of people when I say that. We all will miss you and are sad to see you go, but will all look at the past and smile. You have done a good job, and we all wish you the best on your future endeavours.
Thanks for everything,
Jubean

Reactions: mpzflame

guerns

May 17, 2017
i always knew this day would come and unfortunately neglected to get unbanned in time to see it in person, but i suppose my era ended a long time ago. after i got rather unexpectedly banned, i felt calm. relief. not the expected anger or outrage. it was a momentous event, but at the same time it was a minor one. suddenly, i was free. all the things that i wanted to work on, all the things that i wanted to do to better myself but had ignored in favor of remaining a degenerate gamer floated to the top of my mind and suddenly seemed possible. i took the first steps and all of the rest fell into place. i completely quit gaming. i started reading a lot more books. i started lifting weights for the first time ever. i started eating a lot healthier and even started to cook. i went outdoors a ton. i worked on learning math and languages. i travelled across the country visiting friends and family. it has been just six months and i am already doing so much better, and i know that this is only the beginning. so, i implore you: let this, the closing of the server, be your ban, your new beginning. it may seem bleak and impossible after months of low-intensity psychic warfare against you w/r/t c*r*na, but i'm sure that everyone here has always cared a lot more about urbanmc than c*r*na so its closing is powerful enough to be the catalyst. this is the moment you've been waiting for.

you may wonder: is this exhortation simply the magnum opus, the pièce de résistance, the culmination of a master satirist's dubious career. this is not a question to which i can give a satisfactory answer, but perhaps it is possible to achieve levels of irony so immense that you find yourself completely and totally unironic.

anyways enjoy the lambo lol

--profbananaslug 2015 - 2020
Founder and Ex-CEO, Chicken Hut
Former Lead Inquisitor and Representative Director, ICI
Probably a record-holder for most bans and proud non-donor

Elian

Administrator
Staff member
‌‌ 
Jul 25, 2016
It's crazy to think that I was on this server all the way back in 2014, a 13 year old admin on a small server that grew so fast. I was quite immature at the time, though not bad for my age and surprisingly not as abusive as one might expect. (silver's first admin days...) I've had a lot of fun on this server, and suffered a lot of headache from players, but I don't regret a single bit of it. This server will always be a part of me, a huge part of me for what it is. I mean, this is where I grew interested in my future career (programming). This is where I met so many awesome friends and different people.

Thank you all for being a part of the ride. I look forward to popping into Skats's server once in a while and I hope to see some of you there when I do.

ElDespota

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
Jan 20, 2020
Hey guys, it's me, Dababy. Ah ah. You may recognize me from hit songs like Suge, Suge pt. 2, Suge with a guitar, and The Box. I'm here to say that UrbanMC got turned into a convertible! Lets goooooo

Mqnch

Mar 18, 2018
This server was played too much by many people somehow even though the server was so bad. It still kept having players going back to it at all times, including me which I am glad that I kept going back wasting time on a Minecraft server but I don't regret it. It doesn't feel like that long ago when I joined ocelot princess in Opalia building the urban café. I do regret sending urban mails in game for the past week and a half waiting for big man to get on just so at the end of the world he would delete Africa for me but that's okay. anyway cya ill play on the new server probably
-Mqnch

Last edited:

Paddywiggle

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Dec 26, 2016
Listerine
UrbanMC is dead. LONG LIVE LITHOSMC!

Thanks for the good times, Urban. Top Sirloin. Thanks for having a hub for kids like us to create a community that we will cherish for the rest of our lives. <3 Maybe you can join Lithos as a player? :O

Loofan

‌‌ 
Sep 25, 2016
Sunshine State
I think we all felt something of this sort was coming, but that feeling doesn't help lessen the blow to the heart. This server was a great foundation for making new friends and memories. It helped me through some very rough patches in my life, it's a shame I can't do anything for it in return. I wish the best of luck to Skat and his team, and I would like to personally thank Urban for providing a platform in which we all could call home.

Thank you for the memories.

AmigaMan67

Dec 12, 2017
Wow! This is sad news (but I totally understand). I have come and gone over the years (and mostly silent when I was here). Where will I go now? I was about to come home for a while when I spotted this thread. Guess I'll have to check in with LithosMC. I've played many MC servers over the years but always felt like home on UrbanMC. Thank you much Urban for hosting my home over the years. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

DarkenedSky

‌‌ 
Aug 11, 2016
God the memories from this server, some good, some bad. I killed way too many hours as a kid on here, and it's kind of crazy to see it shutting down. This server was a place for me to escape a pretty rough place, and it translated to the way I remember playing. I remember being a little pain in the side for everyone, and shamefully so. Camping outside of towns, killing people and looting, etc. Somehow though, I met so many people on this server, some of whom are my closest friends today. This server had an undeniable sense of community, right from the get go. Back when the server was just "A friend of a friend's Minecraft server" In like grade 5. I didn't always hold this place in the best regards, but that was admittedly because I was a toxic POS for a long time. This server was always a great place, and I'm sad to see it go.

Sky

babycat

Jul 31, 2016
Canada
When DFG told me the server was shutting down I was kind of shocked, this has kind of being a constant in my life, even if I wasn't actually playing. It was always here, ready to go.

The experience on UrbanMC will forever be something I look back at fondly. It was a place where I met some of my longest-lasting friendships. It was a place where I learnt more about myself and the world around me. Without UrbanMC I don't know who I would be today to be perfectly honest, as it has had an unintelligibly large impact on my life.

Thank you to all of the players.

Thank you to all of the staff.

Thank you, Urban.

OpalComet

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
Aug 11, 2019
New York, United States
It do be like this sometimes. Thank you for the making the perfect minecraft towny environment and the memories of course. I know Skat will do a great job carrying on the legacy over on LithosMC.

Kakash1__

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
Nov 30, 2016
Damn. This server literally was my childhood. I never thought I'd see a day when I couldn't go back onto urbanmc and troll the hell out of you guys. This truly is an end of an era, especially for me having quit Minecraft and moving onto other things in life. Maybe one day when I'm older I will come back to LithosMC and enjoy my days trolling others once again. I will never forget the days when I would create towns and empires, take on other players in pvp, break almost all the rules in the book, annoy the mods, troll the players, and have a great time. I thank every single one of you for being a part of my childhood even if I pretended I hated you as for an act.

Reactions: ElDespota

Jonfurre

‌‌ 
Jan 14, 2019
Seattle, WA
my life be like ooooooh ahhhhhhhh ooooooooooooohhhhh ahhhhhhhh

glorsh

Mar 14, 2020
My life be like ooh ah, ooh ah, yeah, ooh ooh
Ooh ah, yeah, ooh ooh
My life be like ooh ah, ooh ah, yeah, ooh ooh
My life be like