The End of an Era

Hello players of UrbanMC,

Almost seven years ago, all the way back in July of 2014, a young and naïve version of me, who clearly had way too much time on his hands, started this server. I started this server because I enjoyed playing Minecraft, and I wanted to create the perfect environment for me and others to enjoy playing the game together. At the time, I had no idea what it would grow into. I had an idea, I ran with it, and I just kept running with it.

It worked. Players kept coming, and donations helped to sustain it. Your continued support has kept this server open for so long. Many of you have been with us for a long time now and some of you may be newer, but all of you are appreciated. This server was a success, thanks to the dedication of its staff members and many loyal players.

As time has gone on, I have improved as a server owner. However, it seems that no matter how much better I get at my job, it never seems to be enough. At the same time, I find that I have little time available to dedicate to running the server. I no longer feel that I can adequately fill my role as owner.

This server started as a hobby. I ran it for fun. Over the years, it has slowly evolved into a job. The last map I really played on was either the map before the first earth map or the one before that. It was so long ago that I cannot quite remember. I come online now purely to field questions, check on specific items, or fix bugs.

Since running this server now feels like a job more than a hobby, and I do not feel that I can adequately fulfill my obligations as owner, I will be closing Urban Minecraft Servers, effective March 15, 2021.

You guys all know one of our moderators, Skatds. When I first met Skat, he was an eager, optimistic, and highly engaged player. He was one of the easiest hiring decisions I have made, and I do not regret it one bit. When I told my staff that I was ready to move on, and shut down the server entirely, he eagerly messaged me about the idea of starting his own server and piggy-backing off the success of UrbanMC. I have accepted his offer. When his server, LithosMc, it will open with the same map and player data that UrbanMC closes with. I encourage you to check out his server when it opens.

The transition will probably not be smooth. There will be a lot of data to transfer, so there will likely be a lot of downtime. Features will undoubtedly break. More details about the transition process will be available from Skat in the coming weeks. Please direct any inquiries to him personally.

All server rules will remain fully in force until closing, with one noteworthy exception – skat’s server, LithosMc, is an exception to the advertising rule.

Finally, I wish to thank all of you for playing Minecraft with me.

Sincerely,

UrbanMC, Owner
Urban Minecraft Servers
July 27, 2014 – March 15, 2021

Asc90

‌‌ 
Oct 25, 2016
I remember coming to UrbanMC from Jingos a while after Elian had left. In the beginning it was probably the most fun I have ever had on a Minecraft server. Unfortunately like many servers UrbanMC kept resetting and the people who I knew kept leaving as did my interest to be player. Though I didn't really contributing much to the community these last few years, I will say Urban did his best and I have enjoyed my time here for the most part. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope to see you on Lithos if I do play myself.

Reactions: mpzflame and Sognal

CabanNieves

Diamond Donator
‌‌ 
‌‌ 
Jan 22, 2017
I'm late, but jeez what do I have to say, I really made good memories here on Urban, thanks Urban for having a really wonderful server.

Btw heres a screenshot of my early days at Urban, the only thing I could find.
2017-01-22_21.00.09.png

Server Status

UrbanMC Towny

towny.urbanmc.net

Online Players

0/0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Khalil440